Thursday, April 12, 2007

Just another of life's embarrassing moments -- jcarolek

When we returned to the “States” after living in England for three years, my parents had to register all of us for school. Three of us were of Junior High School age (7th, 8th, 9th grades) and the other three were elementary school age (5th, 4th, and 2nd grades). I was the 13 year old heading into 8th grade. My brother Tim was heading into 7th.

I recall with amused clarity the conversation the principal

had with my mother, regarding my brother Tim’s requirements for 7th grade.

“ He will be issued a gym uniform, T-shirt and shorts. He will need to have an athletic supporter….”

At this point, my mother, Queen of Tact, turns to my brother and says, “Timmy, do you know what an athletic supporter is?”

Without missing a beat, my brother responded in his now thick British accent, “Sure, it’s a fan, someone to cheer you on!”

Neither my brother nor I understood why my mother and the principal laughed so hard tears were streaming down their faces.

When Mom later explained what it was, Tim and I responded in chorus, “MOOOOOM!!!!

Just another of life’s embarrassing moments!

No comments: