Sunday, April 6, 2008

On a "jet plane" -- jcarolek

I finished packing for my trip to CA last night. I will depart from here in the wee hours of the morning tomorrow. As has been the case recently, this morning I awoke with a song on my mind and tongue, and I had to laugh...No mystery on this one! The song? Leaving on a Jet Plane (Peter , Paul and Mary version).

What's funny about this to me is that it WAS one of my favorite songs WAY back in about 1970 while I was in school at Charlton Park Convent in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire,

in England. And I would sing it ALL the time. And one day, after lunch, and during our obligatory, "chapel" time, my friend, Linda, and I sat there in the chapel, where I suppose we were meant to be saying Rosaries or something, and we sang "Leaving on a Jet Plane" in harmony, with FEELING! (LOL) We were all alone, so, no problem, right????

WRONG....Sister Mary was "lurking" and she was NOT impressed...no way, no how! Singing in chapel, well, it MIGHT be OK, if the song were a praise song, or a prayer song...but most DEFINITELY NOT a secular song about human......er........
"love!"

Our "reward" for our performance was a "standing ovation" of sorts. We were promptly told to stand up and follow Sister. We did so, rolling our eyes at each other (Sisters, what do THEY know!!!) And when we reached the destination, Sister's "office," and the door was closed behind us, Sister explained life to us (again) and offered us a penance for our indiscretion....

We actually got off pretty lightly that time...we only had to memorize ONE CHAPTER from our Geography text book...........

Not sure I LEARNED anything from that experience...I am still the most geographically challenged person I know. BUT...it's all good...when flying over in a "jet plane" the "geography" is pretty to look at!

No comments: