Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I would have been embarrassed -- jcarolek

I was getting things ready for a get together of family and friends I am having here on the weekend of August 9. I am not a huge planner, typically ending up with last minute decisions and such, but, since I am traveling so much right now, thought it prudent to at least "consider" what I need to get in order.

And as I strolled through Walmart last weekend, getting picnic supplies, I happened upon a volleyball set up....yeah, one of those cheesy ones, and I thought about picking it up.... some of the younger folks like to play....maybe even some of us older folks....and then I thought back to a party I attended many moons ago when I was one of the younger folks...

The woman with whom I first worked when I took the job in VA, moving up from FL, was leaving the company. I had been there about six months, and we were good friends by that time. Another friend decided to hold a going away party for our mutual friend BJ, as BJ was not only leaving the company, but moving to another state to follow her heart with her young, handsome beau.....

The party was to be a big cookout on the beach (Virginia Beach) and another of our coworkers offered his home for the festivities. But Maria, the party planner, was "in charge." Sign ups for the party included stipulation of food contribution. Specific instructions were given to all party goers, regarding amount of food, chairs, extras, invited family members and such. We all complied, showing up at the designated time, bearing our contributions to the party, and when we arrived, I could tell Maria was already in a bit of a tizzy.

Out on the deck of Kim's condo, Maria's husband-to-be was working the grill. Apparently, he had neglected to start the coals when Maria had deemed it appropriate and was now catching flack for his inattentiveness to detail.....we carefully placed our foods in the proper spot, making sure not to accidentally put desserts in the veggies section, or anything...we did not want to be the next in line to be chastised.

One of the guys I drove over with was not intimidated by the party planner. Though she had NOT given us the go ahead to start eating, Ray started helping himself to a little of this and a little of that. Maria was fuming...things were NOT going according to plan.... the burgers were defying the weak heat from the coals soaked with lighter fluid....putting off a most offensive "aroma" while taking thirty minutes to cook...defiant guests were eating without proper instruction to do so....and NOBODY was out on the beach playing volleyball.....

Well, before we all had to witness homicide over the whole thing, several of us opted to head down to the beach and play.... I was happy to get out of the line of fire and we started the game. We chose teams and sides and off we went. Now, I will admit, I am probably the LEAST athletic person in recent history, but what the heck, I was having fun... I spent more time on the ground than on my feet, and laughed along with my teammates at my general clumsiness. Most of the time I was laughing so hard I could NOT stay on my feet......

Eventually, when all righted itself up at the condo, Maria made her way down to the volleyball game....she announced that food could NOW be devoured, but hey, we were in the middle of the game.... Maria is a fierce competitor and could not resist watching the game for a few minutes before insisting we all stop and go eat.....

After we ate, things calmed down a bit and we were able to play volleyball, play guitar, sing, play around with Kim's machine that hung you upside down...can't recall what that thing was called, but it was fun....and generally enjoy ourselves.....

The next Monday at the office, as is the nature of such things, the party was rehashed for those who had missed it and to cement the memories for those who had..... and it was then that I discovered that my non-athletic approach to volleyball was offensive to the party planner... Maria, describing the "game" she had had the obvious misfortune of witnessing, told of how I was basically unable to stay on my feet, spending more time on my butt in the sand than upright...and she concluded that she "would have been embarrassed to play" were she that bad! LOL

So....I walked on by the volleyball set in Walmart.... maybe I can stay on my feet with croquet...???? I dunno...I think I'll just let the spirit move me on the day or so right before the get together.... All that planning seems to defeat the enjoyment of the shared experience.... I do know I will have lots of food and drink, a campfire, guitars and more, and good company....that's all the planning I need.... I SO don't want to embarrass myself! LOL

No comments: