Thursday, June 26, 2008

Daisy, Daisy -- jcarolek

Last night, after finishing up at the office, I returned to my hotel room. Within minutes my friend's husband called, telling me that Chris had instructed him to pick me up and bring me home with him...we were going to play, sing and eat... I had to laugh. I had told this co-worker friend of mine that I was going to be in her neck of the woods for a few days and had given her my "possible" available times to get together. She decided she would take all three of those times! And last night was the first.

So just at 6PM i jumped into the car and Doug drove us to their house. We had another wonderful evening...eating, talking and telling stories, listening to Trevor (their seven year old) recount his field trip where he got to hold an exotic.....COCKROACH (LOL). We eventually retired to the living room, where Doug and I played and sang, while Chris and Trevor mellowed, Trevor falling asleep to the song I had learned for him...the one his mother sang to him when he was a baby in the neonatal unit..."I Will" by the Beatles.

Since today was an early work day for me, I had to leave around 11:00 PM, but with the assurance that, "yes, I will come back tomorrow night!" LOL So, in a little while I will, once again, hop a ride to my home away from home!

While I was there last night, I captured a few pictures of their flowers in bloom. And one or two of the moon in the late afternoon sky. The flowers were all very pretty, but the daisies caught my eye...they reminded me of one afternoon, a rare one for my sister and me, when we were quite young, probably 8 and 9 or so. We were in our room, most likely supposed to be taking a nap. Instead, we were singing. And I just recall each of us standing on either side of the double bed we shared, arms stretched out across the bed and holding hands as we sang,

"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do...
I'm half crazy, over the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage
I can't afford a carriage
But you'll look sweet, upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two!"

I have no other recollection of that day...what inspired us to get along that afternoon, or what inspired us to sing, but that song will forever be tied in my memory to that day. And when I see the daisies, I am that child again...happy, carefree...alive!




No comments: