Friday, September 21, 2007

Forever Doomed -- jcarolek

My mother always told me I was a Tuesday’s child. We all knew the little rhyme

Monday’s child is fair of face, Tuesday’s child is full of grace.

Wednesday’s child is full of woe, Thursday’s child has far to go.

Friday’s child is loving and giving, Saturday’s child works hard for a living.

But the Child that is born on the Sabbath day, is bonnie, blithe, good, and gay.

But I was never a graceful child. Much as I tried, I was a klutz! I was a pure bred klutz, at that! I was surrounded by family members who were bonnie and blithe, full of woe and who had far to go, some that worked hard for a living…but there I was, trying my BEST to live up to my life promise of being a Tuesday’s child…and falling (rather ungracefully, I might add) on my face in the process.

Years passed and I came to accept that I would never be a true Tuesday’s child. I focused on the things I could control and let my failure in this area of grace be something I just had to accept. And then one day, a friend told me about a calendar that could show me the day of the week for any date in history….and I was REBORN! My mother had been wrong ALL THOSE YEARS!!!!

I was a Friday’s child! And interestingly enough, though I had struggled my entire childhood to be “something” in the grace department, the fact was, I was quite naturally, the “loving and giving” type of person…so…I was happy to discover I had not let my birth day down.

Tonight, while perusing the “net” I happened to revisit a little algorithm used to easily determine the day of the week for any given date in history (or in the future.) The Doomsday Algorithm makes this a rather simple process. To easily do the calculations in your head, however, you must commit a few facts to memory. Of interest to me was the fact that Doomsday for July is the 11th.
for the 9th month, Doomsday is the 5th
for the 5th month, Doomsday is the 9th
for the 7th month, Doomsday is the 11th
for the 11th month, Doomsday is the 7th

Great, so now I know WHY I keep getting the feeling I am DOOMED!!! I was BORN on DOOMSDAY!!!!

No comments: