After using the wood stove in the garage for about two months, we decided we did not like the idea of the galvanized stove pipe the installer used. Yes, it was up to code. Yes, it was made for the purpose, but we were both feeling the effects of the fumes the heated galvanized pipe was emitting.
|Not So Pretty|
and Toxic Fumes
So, though we certainly did not need another project, we decided it was in our best interest to replace the galvanized pipe with the black stove pipe. Let's just say that while the original project took the professional installer about 30 minutes to complete, our rework of the the job took us ummmm.... four hours?
Well, OK, we did have to take down the original pipe.
We had to clean the double-wall pipe that carries the smoke out through the roof.
And we had to connect those bloomin' pipes together.... let me tell you, that was no easy task.
Oh, and just BECAUSE they are BRILLIANT, Lowes firmly applies price stickers to each piece of stove pipe, so.... we had to take those off
Then we were finally able to actually assemble and install our new stove pipe.
Still, we managed to get the job done without any bloodshed or broken bones. We like the way it looks, and it is completely functional.... the pipe we used is a heavier gauge than the original, which I consider a plus.
Tomorrow the latest of the contractors is supposed to come over after church to give us his bid on the "big project" (the raising and leveling of the old farm house). We are hoping this one will be the right one, because it would be very nice to get this project underway.
Meanwhile, we continue to plug along on the smaller projects -- indoors, where possible. Tomorrow we hope to get started on completing the insulation in the garage and installing the plywood we intend to use for the wall covering.
Of course, our projects have to be squeezed in between work (the kind that pays the bills), chores (the stuff that keeps the place functioning) and CraigsList..... Yes, I continue to scour CraigsList, looking for those items, odd or common, but useful to us in our farm creation project. This week we finally found a local guy selling a flatbed trailer with the capacity to carry the tractor. We've seen many such trailers offered, but everyone wanted too much money for them. When I saw the listing, I was pretty certain it would not last, because, quite frankly, the price was right -- less than half of what most are asking.
|Van - CraigsList (CA),|
Semi-trailer - CraigsList (VA),
Trailer - CraigsList (VA)
And this afternoon we finally managed to get over to pick up the fence pieces we'd secured from another seller on CraigsList. We made the deal in December, but weather and schedules interfered with the pick up until today. Naturally, it was FREEZING today -- still, we persevered. Murphy's Law prevailing, the task included:
- the van getting stuck in the soft ground when trying get to the trailer for initial hook-up
- walking the trailer out to meet the van, since the van couldn't make it to the trailer
- getting a flat tire on the trailer AFTER loading the fencing -- thankfully, the seller had a portable air compressor
|Loading Fence Into Trailer|
|Fix a Flat|
|Home Sweet Home|