Friday, January 25, 2008

When I Was a Kid

When I was a kid there were certain things I completely did NOT understand. And I never asked for clarification, because it was clear that I SHOULD understand. One such thing that escaped my early comprehension was the expression, "I'd use the latter" or the "latter is a better choice." I'll give you an example of the situation.

I had to make a choice on whether to play the violin, viola, or cello when I was in fourth grade. I could choose from those three instruments, because in my elementary school, fourth graders could start learning stringed instruments, but one had to await fifth grade to learn wind instruments. So I brought my dilemma to my parents. (well, I KNEW I wanted to play the violin, BUT they wanted to be certain I had explored all choices BEFORE settling on the violin.)

So, they declared we should look at the choices and make certain mine was the best. After ruling out the cello, since it was more expensive to rent, bulkier to tote, (and required a young lady to spread her legs to play -- although I don't think this was brought up at the time) the decision was between the violin and the viola. There were pros and cons to each. In the end, it was my decision.

They told me their thoughts, which included the assurance, "if it were I, I would choose the latter."

I smiled and stuck with my original choice of the violin. And wandered off to my room, wondering WHY they always brought LADDERS into decision making? Oh, well, I was happily on the road to making music, I could figure out the LADDER connection later!

No comments: