Monday, December 8, 2008

Swinging -- jcarolek

I know it's almost winter...by the feel of the cold air, I think I'll just accept that it IS winter, even if this not technically true. And I, for one, am not a fan of the cold. I'd just as soon skip winter and jump right into spring. But, for every thing (turn, turn, turn) there is a season....yeah, yeah, yeah.

Once upon a time I lived in a place where the seasons were rather lopsided. The summers started in about April and carried on through mid October. It did snow there once or twice in the eleven years I lived there, but it was certainly not the norm. No, the norm was hammock days stretching almost until Thanksgiving, and then making a bid for our company again by mid February.

And there is something very therapeutic about lazing in a hammock and just swinging. Young and old seem to like the web of cotton rope, suspended between a couple of trees, offering not only natural supports for this adult swing, but also the necessary shade on a hot summer's day.

Now, getting into the hammock for the first time can be rather amusing for onlookers. I myself, flipped out a time or two on my early attempts each year.. It always took me a few times to get back into the "swing of things," properly judging where best to sit before performing the "pivot and stretch out" motion that resulted in a comfortable napping venue... until another would-be napper came along to claim "his turn."





Yes, I've tried it all, you know, sharing the hammock with another adult -- gotta be pretty friendly because in the best of circumstances you are going to be smushed into each other, and in the more typical of circumstances one of you is going to end up moving in such a way that one or both of you will be tossed out. And I have tried sharing the hammock with young children... and it's fine... until someone moves... then, like the song says, "rock the boat, don't tip the boat over..."

Another curious thing about the hammock is that, even though it wants to pitch you out at every turn, when you actually WANT to get out, it is as if your butt has suddenly gained 500 lbs and you have to actually almost hurl yourself out... Nevertheless, I still love the hammock.

Now in VA I don't put the hammock up. At least where I live we have an annual visit of these annoying biting flies... and while I will endure them when I am working out in the yard, I see no purpose in subjecting myself to their torment while trying to relax in a hammock. I think my next house should be a very small one, with a big screened in back deck, on which should gently swing a hammock or two... I think I'm ready for hammock days.... OK, OK, I'll put up with a little more winter, but, honestly... does it HAVE to be so cold?

No comments: