Thursday, December 11, 2008

Kansas Barbecue, Pigs and Full Moons -- jcarolek

This is my final night in Kansas. Tomorrow I head back to the facility where I have been taking my class all week and sit for the exam. After that, I am, officially, on vacation... and I plan to enjoy it. Still, I didn't want to leave this state without taking a few pictures to remind me of my time here.

Our class was treated to barbecue, apparently a Kansas specialty, at a local restaurant here in Overland Park. Actually, I did not even taste the barbecue, opting for the loaded baked potato...go figure. Still the others all enjoyed the local offering and the table of approximately 25 of us was buzzing with multiple conversations. Meanwhile, I took pictures of this and that, the interesting decor (a very cheerful pig), the folks eating, the food itself. Impressive to me were the fried mushrooms which have to be the BIGGEST fried mushrooms I have ever seen.... and I had one... it would have sufficed for my entire meal, but I poked at my loaded baked potato when it arrived. It was tasty, but I was already full.




After class, on my way back to the hotel, I saw the moon, the full moon and thought it was really quite pretty... worthy of being captured, so, as I sat at a traffic light, awaiting my turn to proceed, I snapped a few pictures, of the moon, of the sky, of my last night in Kansas. The sky was not as dramatic tonight as it was last night, but last night my memory card for my camera decided to bite the dust, so, you will just have to take my word for it. Last night's sunset was phenomenal.





I'm back in my hotel room now... bags are mostly packed, dishwasher is running, washing the dishes I've used the last couple of days. I'm taking a break before getting more work completed, and reviewing for my exam tomorrow. And I am trying my best to focus on these things I need to do before setting out tomorrow afternoon for my big adventure. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve... I don't think I'll be able to sleep a wink tonight!

No comments: