Friday, November 28, 2008

It's always the same -- jcarolek

I had a wonderful visit with family yesterday as we gathered together to celebrate Thanksgiving in the traditional, overeat-til-you-drop fashion. We spent the first few hours congregated in the kitchen and family room, some preparing food, others eating snack food, my niece giving free "back cracking" to any and all takers.. (I took) and my SIL demonstrating how high their two whippets can jump.... (VERY HIGH) when enticed by the toy hedgehog... you know the same old stuff... LOL


Heather cracks Jeannie's back...

We usually have two tables... the main table and the kids' table. This time though, the table from the kitchen was brought into the living room, which adjoins the dining room at my parents' house. This year, the "kids'" table seemed inappropriate.... the youngest of the "kids" present was 19... so the tables were brought together and the passing of the dishes from one to the other engineered with great care. Dad asked if I'd brought my guitar (silly, silly man.... LOL ummmm YEAH!!!) He had decided that instead of saying grace as we traditionally do before the meal, he'd like us to sing, "We Gather Together."


The tables are set....



The 22 lb turkey is a show-off....

And so we did. Sure, it had been YEARS since any of us had sung that one, but we all remembered the words and the tune, once we got started. And then it was time to eat... The dishes were passed according to the predetermined plan, and all went flawlessly. There were 15 of us at the tables for dinner and there were at least five conversations going at all times. The food was delicious and by the time we'd eaten our fill (and more) of the main course and the desserts, we had discussed all of the important topics... politics... the economy... religion... the fact that Mike, my youngest brother (21) rarely goes three days without eating pizza.... you know... all of the important stuff.

After we finished, when the dishes were washed and the food put away, those who could still breathe (not I) took part in the family favorite game, GOOF. I meandered around, took pictures, and chatted with those who were, like me, too full to participate in the game.


Always a family tradition.... GOOF...

Eventually, we found ourselves sharing a good old-fashioned after meal.......... laptop session... LOL.. I broke out mine to check on my eBay sales, my brother followed suit to check out his, my niece fired hers up to share some photos taken at my son's wedding last month, my step-mother fired hers up to check out email.... and Dad showed us his website where he is recording the family tree and more.... yeah, I guess we COULD be teetering on the brink of nerdsville....


A family "get together" ...

My sister and my niece left before midnight, but the rest of us slept over. We all slept well and in the morning, actually before the breakfast had been cooked, I took my leave. I had a three hour drive back home and wanted to make sure I got on the road before I would be guaranteed of being stuck in Black Friday traffic. I was a little sad to leave... always am... would be nice to stay a while longer. And I always recall my Dad's friend who used to visit and NEVER stayed long enough... he'd always assured us that the key to being a good guest was to leave before your hosts were ready to see you go.... anyway, I took my backpack, purse, camera bag, guitar and present my sister had brought me, and headed out to the car. Dad accompanied me as I put everything in the trunk and we said goodbye again.

Once in the car, I fired up the GPS, turned on the car, turned on the heat, and turned on the radio.... and the very first song I heard, a song I had not thought of in years but that I always liked, was just starting.... And yes, the message in it is so very true to me... all the riches in the world, all the gold or oil over which battles are fought, none of these measures up to the greatest treasure of all.... the one that costs nothing and yet...............................

One Tin Soldier

"Listen children to a story that was written long ago
'Bout a kingdom on a mountain and the valley folk below.
On the mountain was a treasure buried deep beneath a stone
And the valley people swore they'd have it for their very own.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of heaven, you can justify it in the end.
There won't be any trumpets blowing come the judgement day.
On the bloody morning after one tine soldier rides away.

So the people of the valley sent a message up the hill
Asking for the buried treasure, tons of gold for which they'd kill
Came an answer from the kingdom "With our brother we will share
All the secrets of our mountain, all the riches buried there."

Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of heaven, you can justify it in the end.
There won't be any trumpets blowing come the judgement day.
On the bloody morning after one tine soldier rides away.

Now the valley cried with anger, MOUNT YOUR HORSES, DRAW YOUR SWORD
And they killed the mountain people so they won their just reward.
Now they stood beside the treasure on the mountain, dark and red
Turned the stone and looked beneath it "Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of heaven, you can justify it in the end.
There won't be any trumpets blowing come the judgement day.
On the bloody morning after one tine soldier rides away. "


Taken this summer from a peaceful Blue Ridge Mountains lookout....


It was an exceptional Thanksgiving.

No comments: