Sunday, June 24, 2007

Her First Art Kit -- jcarolek

She was destined to be an artist. I just did not realize it at the time. When my daughter was only two she started her artistic experimentation. I, like every female living in the US today, had a tendency to receive make-up for Christmas from those who clearly had no clue that I don’t wear the stuff. Never mind…it was a gift, so I kept it.

Jen decided early on that she should help make Mommy pretty by applying the eye shadows, blushes, lipsticks and whatever else was at her disposal in her first “art kits.” I, deciding that being a willing palette for my daughter’s creativity was better than risking her decorating the living room walls, allowed her to “decorate” me to her heart's content.

On more than one occasion, I found myself answering the door to a salesman, or the mail man, looking like some sort of demented clown. My then-hubby would scold me for allowing Jen to make me look so “special," but my gut told me there was no harm, and it would all wash off. The delivery guys would just think I was insane and that was quite alright too.

Eventually, Jen tired of trying to make Mommy into something other than Mommy and she resorted to more classic forms of artistic expression. Today, her talent truly impresses me. Every time I look at the pastel of the woman that hangs in my office, I think of her applying that make-up and wanting to makeover her Mommy in pastel color.

No comments: